LAND AREA: 1,287.6 sq. km.
TEL. AREA CODE: 046
NO. OF MUNICIPALITIES: 22
ZIP CODE: 4100
Cavite, the name of the province, is derived from "Kawit",
a Tagalog word for "hook". This refers to the hook shaped
land on Old Spanish maps. The land was known as "Tangway"
where Spanish authorities evolved a fort from which the city of
Archaeological evidence in the coastal areas of Cavite show prehistoric
settlements. Folklore says that the earliest settlers of Cavite
were from Borneo. In the 1600s encomiendas or Spanish royal
land grants were given in Cavite and Maragondon. The Jesuit priests
who first came brought with them settlers from Mollucas. These settlers,
known as Mardicas, settled on Ternate and Maragondon. Other settlements
grew over the centuries and by the turn of the century Cavite towns
were already trading with one another. Traditional industries began
to thrive as Manilas commerce grew. Cavite like other provinces
of Southern Tagalog, began its involvement for reforms and later
on revolution as its educated citizens began to assert themselves
like many Filipino ilustrados of the time.
In 1872, Filipinos revolted against Spain. Three Filipino priests
- Jose Burgos, Mariano Gomez and Jacinto Zamora - were implicated
in the Cavite revolt in which 200 Filipinos rose in arms against
the Spanish forces in the garrisons.
On August 28, 1896, when the Philippine Revolution against Spain
broke out, Cavite became a bloody theatre of war. Led by Emilio
Aguinaldo, Caviteños made surprise attracts on the Spanish
headquarters and soon liberated the whole province. Aguinaldo directed
the Revolution to its end: the proclamation of the first Republic
in Asia, the Republic of the Philippines, on June 12, 1898 in Kawit.
Cavite and its people, what they are today, and what will be tomorrow,
will remain with infinity, as a place with glorious history and
a people fortified with strength to live and die for a worthy cause.
Go to top
CAVITE HISTORICAL SITES
Aguinaldo Shrine and Museum (Kawit)
The province of Cavite plays an important role in Philippine political
history. The proclamation of the Republic of the Philippines was
made in this town in the balcony of the home of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo,
the first president of the Philippine Republic. Now a National Shrine,
it was in this house that the Philippine flag was first unfurled.
Guided tours are offered in the shrine. Open daily from 8:00am to
5:00pm, except Mondays.
Imus Historical Marker (Town
Cavite Province can justifiably claim to be the birthplace of the
nation, as Imus was the site of the first successful revolution.
The Imus Historical Marker commemorates this event. At the town
plaza, the marker can be found near two vintage artillery pieces
situated just across the Imus Catholic Church and the Imus Municipal
Battle of Alapan Marker and Flag (Bernardina Salud Elementary School, Alapan, Imus)
The site of this marker is highlighted by a 90-foot tall flagpole
where the Philippine flag waves proudly. The marker is set atop
three large rocks each encrusted with painted cement. On the center
rock is a statue of a woman boldly holding the Philippine flag.
Battle of Julian Bridge Marker (Bo. Bayang Luma, Imus)
An old 1859 cannon stands as the lone reminder of a battle that
took place long ago between the Spanish and the Filipino forces.
The marker is placed on the cannon while old ammunitions are laid
on its concrete base. The cannon and marker are found near the north
side of the bridge where steps briefly descend to this old emplacement.
Corregidor (Off Bataan Peninsula)
The name Corregidor was derived from the Spanish word "corregir"
meaning to correct or check. This island served as a checkpoint
for vessels entering Manila Bay during the Spanish and American
occupation. It earned the name Guardian of Manila because of its
strategic location at the mouth of Manila Bay. It is the largest
of the five islands guarding the entrance to Manila Bay. Tadpole-shaped,
it lies off the southwestern tip of the Bataan Peninsula, 26 miles
off Manila. It rises about 450 feet above sea level with a land
area of three and a half square miles. During the last Pacific war,
Corregidor became a theater of war between the Japanese Imperial
Forces and the combined defenders of Filipino and American troops,
thus its valiant last stand against the superior invasive forces
came to be written in history. Guided Tours are available. For additional
information, please contact: Corregidor Visitors Information
Center (C-VIC) located at CCP Complex, Roxas Boulevard, Manila with
contact telephone number: (632)834-5048 and the Corregidor Foundation,
Inc. (CFI) at 2nd Floor, Room 212, DOT Building, T.M. Kalaw St.,
Ermita, Manila with contact telephone numbers: (632)525-3429/525-3420.
House of Tirona (12 Maestro
G. Tirona St., Bo. 4, Imus)
The house belonging to an illustrious Caviteño family is
well-maintained and was restored to its original grandeur. The place
has a garden and a marker set within the lot attesting to notable
Fort San Felipe (Sangley
Point Naval Base, Cavite City)
An old structure dating back to 1609 when the Spaniards built it
to protect the then growing city. The structure is made of granite
blocks with walls approximately 30 feet high. A wide stairway leads
to the top of the fort where a concrete house structure could be
found. Naval memorabilia including antique cannons and cannon balls
decorate the lawns.
General Artemio Ricarte Marker (Poblacion, General Trias)
In 1896, Gen Ricarte led revolutionists in attacking the Spanish
garrison taking troops and civil guards as prisoners. He fought
numerous other battles and was later captured and deported to Guam.
In 1903 he was He was supposed to be released in Manila after they
took their oath of allegiance to the Americans -- Ricarte refused.
He was deported once more to Hong Kong and secretly sailed to the
Philippines in 1903 hoping to reunite and rekindle the Philippine
Revolution but he was denounced for a sum of $10,000, the reward
offered by the American government for his capture dead or alive.
He was arrested and jailed until 1910. He still refused to swear
allegiance to the US and on the same day, he was once more deported
to Hong Kong. He and his wife later moved to Yokohama, Japan where
they lived in self exile. The marker is a pebble wash - out platform
encloses the marker made in tribute to the late Gen. Artemio "El
Vibora" Ricarte. Two lamp posts flank the structure.
Andres Bonifacio House (Poblacion,
This is the place where the countrys Father of the Philippine
Revolution, Andres Bonifacio lived. The façade of the house
is of red bricks and adobe. Although renovated several times over,
its original Spanish style has not changed.
General Mariano Trias Marker (Poblacion, Gen. Trias)
The marker is located in front of the house where Gen. Mariano Trias,
another local hero, once stayed, near the town plaza. The marker
is built in white concrete and a solitary lamp post stands directly
behind. The monument to the memory of this person is located elsewhere
in the Poblacion.
House where Bonifacio was Court
Martialed (Poblacion 2, Maragondon)
The place is of old wooden and concrete design and a marker is set
in the middle of the structure.
House of Gen. Riego de Dios (Poblacion 2, Maragondon)
Gen de Dios became a member of the Katipunan on July 12, 1896. He
was among the first Caviteño to join the revolutionary society.
In October, 1896, he was among the Katipunans who attacked the Spanish
garrison in Lian, Batangas. He was promoted to the rank of Brigadier
General after the triumphant defense of Noveleta in 1896. The old
De Dios residence is made of wood with an architecture dating back
to the bygone era. It is considered one of the countrys oldest
houses in the area.
Go to top
HOW TO GET THERE
The historical province of Cavite is accessible from Manila by
land (Buses leave every 30 minutes). Normal travel time to Cavite
is approximately 20-30 minutes (if you are going to Bacoor, the
closest town to Manila) or about 2 ½ half hours (to the farthest
By car, exit South Superhighway through Carmona or Sta. Rosa.
source: Department of Tourism
Go to top